Every week leading up to Christmas, we are going to post some delicious Christmas lunch recipes that come out of our very own Wedgewood kitchen! The first recipe is Gilly Walters roasted brinjal paté – not only is it delicious, but it is low fat and healthy too!
- 2 med/large brinjals
- 1 large onion
- Garlic cloves
- 2 T sesame seeds
- 1 – 2 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt & Pepper
- Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Roast brinjals – prick to avoid bursting – at 180°C for 45 – 60 mins. Must be quite soft.
- Gently fry onion in olive oil, then add garlic, fry for about 1 min, then add to brinjal.
- Meanwhile – dry fry sesame seeds till brownish – remove and add to brinjal.
- Dry fry cumin seeds till popping sound. Cool and grind with pestle & mortar. Add to brinjal.
- Process all together, then add yoghourt, bread crumbs, salt & pepper, parsley, mint, chilli and lemon juice until it reaches a smooth paté consistency. Cling wrap in presentation dish and refrigerate. Make up to 3 days before.
Delicious with French loaf or crackers!